Sugar cookies with sprinkles are a quick and fun treat for birthday parties, teacher gifts, or any type of celebration! They’re soft, fluffy, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Use different colored sprinkles for different holidays – think red & green for Christmas or black & orange for Halloween!
So when I made my no roll sugar cookies a while back, I immediately thought about how cute they would be if the recipe was tweaked a bit to mix in sprinkles. So that’s what I did. Added rainbow sprinkles to soft & fluffy sugar cookies was the cherry on top of already delicious cookies.
What You Need to Make Sugar Cookies With Sprinkles
- Softened Butter, Powdered Sugar, Granulated Sugar, Vanilla Extract, Almond Extract, Eggs, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt, and Flour
- Tub of Rainbow Sprinkles (Michaels or a lot of grocery stores sell large tubs)
- 3 Tablespoon Cookie Scoop (not required, but helpful)
- Parchment Paper & Baking Sheet
How to Make Sugar Cookies With Sprinkles
Step 1: Mix dough according to instructions in recipe card (below). The dough should be soft, yet hold its form. Once mixed, add in rainbow sprinkles to give it that funfetti look.
Step 2: Immediately after mixing, scoop dough into 3-tablespoon sized balls using a measuring spoon or cookie scoop. Roll each scoop in your hand until it is a smooth ball. Lightly flatten each ball before placing on cookie sheet.
Important: Because this contains melted butter, you do not want to let the dough sit out before rolling into balls & baking or your dough will become dry and crumbly. For this reason, scoop and roll all the cookies at one time. If you only have one baking tray, simply set the rolled balls to the side until the first batch finishes baking.
Step 3: Bake cookies then allow to cool on the hot baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. This will help them finish baking through, while keeping them soft.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you freeze these sugar cookies?
Yes! Simply place the cooled cookies in a gallon-sized freezer bag or plastic container and freeze for up to 1 month. Learn how to freeze sugar cookies for the best freshness.
Sugar cookies with sprinkles are a quick and fun treat for birthday parties, teacher gifts, or any type of celebration! They're soft, fluffy, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Use different colored sprinkles for different holidays - think red & green for Christmas or black & orange for Halloween!
- 3/4 cup 1.5 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rainbow jimmies sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small glass bowl, microwave butter until melted. Pour into large mixing bowl.
- Add in white sugar and powdered sugar and mix for 10 seconds.
Add eggs and vanilla then mix on medium speed for 20 seconds.
- Turn mixer to low speed, and add baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix for 10 seconds.
Half cup at a time, add flour and mix until flour is just incorporated (about 10-20 seconds). Do not overmix. Mix in sprinkles.
- Immediately after mixing, scoop dough into (3 tablespoon sized) balls. Lightly flatten each ball before placing on cookie sheet. (Because this has melted butter, do not let the dough sit out before rolling into balls & baking, or your dough will become dry and crumbly.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. (The magic number in my oven is 9 minutes) They may look underdone, but they will finish baking on the hot cookie sheet after you take it out of the oven. (Of course, because ovens bake differently use your best judgement to keep them in a minute longer if they look severely under baked.)
- After removing from oven, allow the cookies to cool on the hot baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing them from cookie sheet.
Enjoy plain or spread or pipe cream cheese frosting on cooled cookies and top with more sprinkles!
Cookie Birthday Party Favors
For birthday party favors, wrap each cookie in plastic wrap then slip in printable cookie pouches!
Did you make and love this recipe?