Dip BUTTERFINGER® Fun Size Candy Bars into melted almond bark to turn normal peanut butter cookies into adorable Frankenstein cookies! A perfect Halloween treat idea to make with the kids for parties, class treats, or more!
Even though Halloween is still about a month away, I’m a firm believer that it’s never too early to start stockpiling candy to pass out to trick or treaters or to make your favorite treats. If there’s anything I’ve learned over the years, it’s that I’m about 500x more likely to go to the effort of making treats when I have everything on hand vs. trekking to the store. So today I’m sharing an easy Halloween cookie idea that you can whip up with just a few staple ingredients and BUTTERFINGER® Fun Size candy bars!
What You Need for these Easy Frankenstein Cookies:
Peanut Butter Cookies (Recipe Below), BUTTERFINGER® Fun Size candy bars, almond bark, green food coloring, candy eyeballs
So whether you want to make these before Halloween to serve at parties or individually package them for classroom treats, these candy-packed Frankenstein cookies will give all the little monsters what they want. Which I’m pretty sure is candy.
How to Make these Easy Butterfinger Frankenstein Cookies:
Tip: You can find a printable recipe card with these instructions in the recipe card below.
Step 1: Melt Almond Bark & Color
Melt 3 squares of almond bark in microwave at 50% power in 30 second increments until melted. Be sure to stir between each increment. Once melted, stir in 1-2 drops of green food coloring until desired shade. Stir almond bark for 10-15 seconds to help remove heat, as you don’t want it to be blazing hot when you spoon it over the candy bars.
Step 2: Unwrap Candy Bars
Unwrap BUTTERFINGER® Fun Size candy bars and place on wax paper.
Step 3: Cover Candy Bars with Almond Bark
Place the BUTTERFINGER® Fun Size candy bar on the top of a fork (over the bowl) and use a spoon to drizzle the almond bark over top; tapping off any excess almond bark). You want a thick layer of almond bark and should avoid tapping too much off, as doing so will expose the chocolate from the candy bar. Place on wax paper or parchment. Before almond bark hardens, press two candy eyeballs into the top of each candy bar.
Step 4: Add Candy Eyeballs & Pipe Mouth
Immediately after covering, press two candy eyeballs into the top of each dipped candy bar. Once hardened (you may need to refrigerate them), melt one square of white almond bark, spoon it into a piping bag (or plastic bag with tip cut off), and pipe on Frankenstein’s mouth and stitches. For the Bride of Frankenstein, pipe two squiggly lines on the chocolate half for her hair!
Step 5: Make Cookie Dough & Bake
Mix cookie dough (recipe below), roll into oval shaped balls, and bake. Immediately after removing from oven, carefully press the decorated Frankenstein BUTTERFINGER® into the center of each cookie.
Step 6: Allow to Harden & Serve
Allow the chocolate to re-harden, then serve away! These would be fun to serve on a Halloween party table or to wrap up individually for party or classroom favors. I have a few free Halloween treat bag printables in the archives that would work perfectly for gifting these little guys!
I mean, does it get any better than peanut butter ON peanut butter? I’m going to go ahead and say no…it doesn’t! You guys know how much I love me some peanut butter cookies and when it comes to my favorite holiday, it’s not Halloween without a few BUTTERFINGER® fun size candy bars sneaking their way into the house.
When the cookies are this cute and delicious, you’ll be surprised at how fast they mysteriously disappear from the plate.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I prevent the candy bar chocolate from melting?
The important thing here is to not dip the candy bar directly into the hot almond bark or else it will melt. Instead, place the candy bar on a fork and then use a spoon to drizzle the almond bark over the candy bar.
Where Do I Buy Candy Eyeballs?
Most craft stores like Hobby Lobby & Michaels carry these, but you can also purchase mini eyeballs on Amazon. They come in three sizes, but you want to make sure to buy the mini eyeballs for this project.
Easy Butterfinger Frankenstein Cookies
Dip BUTTERFINGER® Fun Size Candy Bars into melted almond bark to turn normal peanut butter cookies into adorable Frankenstein cookies!
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 Squares White Almond Bark
- Green Food Coloring
- Candy Eyeballs
- 12-14 NESTLÉ® BUTTERFINGER® Fun Size candy bars
Before making cookies, prep Frankenstein BUTTERFINGER® toppers:
- Melt 3 squares of almond bark in microwave at 50% power in 30 second increments until melted. Be sure to stir between each increment.
Once melted, stir in 1-2 drops of green food coloring until desired shade. Stir almond bark for 10-15 seconds to help remove heat, as you don't want it to be blazing hot when you spoon it over the candy bars.
After melting melting, place the BUTTERFINGER® Fun Size candy bar on the top of a fork and use a spoon to drizzle the almond bark over top; tapping off any excess almond bark). You want a thick layer of almond bark and should avoid tapping too much off, as doing so will expose the chocolate from the candy bar. Place on wax paper or parchment. Before almond bark hardens, press two candy eyeballs into the top of each candy bar.
- Optional: If desired, melt 1 square of almond bark in microwave, place in piping bag, and pipe on a stitched mouth or scar.
- Place the candy bars in the refrigerator to help harden while cookies are baking.
To Make Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small glass bowl, microwave butter until melted. Pour into large mixing bowl.
- Add in granulated sugar, brown sugar, and peanut butter and mix for 10 seconds.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix on medium speed for 20 seconds.
- Turn mixer to low speed, and add baking soda and salt. Mix for 10 seconds.
- Half cup at a time, add flour and mix until flour is just incorporated (about 10-20 seconds). Do not overmix.
- Scoop dough into (3 tablespoon sized) balls. Lightly flatten each ball before placing on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. They will look underdone, but they will finish baking on the hot baking sheet after you take it out of the oven. (Of course, because ovens bake differently use your best judgement to keep them in a minute longer if they look severely under baked.)
- Immediately after removing from the oven, press one of the dipped BUTTERFINGER® Fun Size candy bars into the center of each cookie. Allow for the cookies to continue to cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before removing. To harden chocolate, place in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
This post was created in partnership with BUTTERFINGER®. All content, templates, and opinions are that of my own. Thank you to my sponsors who help keep this blog & free printables running!
For more delicious BUTTERFINGER® recipes and inspiration, hop on over to their Pinterest page!