Every so often (aka. pretty much all the time) I'll make a recipe, photograph it, and then forget to publish it for one reason or another. Which leaves some sweet goodness hidden in my computer files to sometimes never see the light of day. I made this salted caramel buttercream frosting last month and totally forgot about it until I ran across some leftover Cadbury eggs and thought to myself, "Wait a sec...what happened to that frosting?!" So here we are. It's time. Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting is in the house!
This recipe incorporates my favorite buttercream base recipe with the dang good Microwave Salted Caramel Sauce from last month. If you are on of those people who could spoon frosting right into your mouth then consider this your warning. Not only is the buttercream completely lickable, but the salted caramel needs a shovel itself.
This is a small batch that will frost 6-12 cupcakes (depending on how high you pile it on), but can easily be doubled or tripled for larger batches.
Your mouth watering yet? Top the cupcakes or cake with some Cadbury caramel mini eggs or pretzels for a salty & sweet treat.
Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup homemade or pre-made caramel sauce
Before you begin! If you make this, will you do me a huge favor and leave a review and rating letting me know how you liked this recipe? This helps my small business thrive so I can continue providing free recipes and high-quality content for you.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter (½ cup, i.e., 1 stick) on medium using a hand or stand mixer with paddle attachment for 2-3 minutes or until creamy. Slowly add in powdered sugar (1 ½ cups), heavy cream (¼ cup), and vanilla extract (1 teaspoon). Continue mixing on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add caramel sauce (⅔ cup).
- Slowly turn the mixer up to high speed and beat for 3-4 minutes. You may need to stop the mixer half-way through to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add frosting to a piping bag to frost or use a knife to spread on top of cake/cupcakes.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting me know how you liked this recipe! This helps my small business thrive so I can continue providing free recipes and high-quality content for you.